Deputy Data Director of Engineering
Progressive Turnout Project seeks Deputy Data Director of Engineering
Position: Deputy Data Director of Engineering
Salary: $72,800 - $93,600
Start Date: 06/06/2022 (Flexible)
End Date: 11/30/2022
Progressive Turnout Project (PTP) seeks applicants for the Deputy Data Director of Engineering (DDDE) to assist in building out core pipelines and automation workflows in support of PTP's innovative Relational and Distributed Organizing Programs across multiple key Senate battleground states, including Arizona, Georgia, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin.
This is an exciting opportunity to be on the cutting edge of field organizing by measuring what works and making our programs as effective as possible. It is a technically oriented role that will work closely with other members of the data team in building streamlined, efficient data pipelines that allow our various voter contact platforms, including Reach, VAN, Civis Platform, to communicate and integrate with one another. Additionally, the DDDE will assist in automating a number of currently manual processes within the field team, in order to ensure an efficient voter contact and hiring workflow.
This position is eligible for benefits, including employer-sponsored health, dental, and vision insurance, FSA, 401(k), student loan repayment assistance, public transportation stipend site-based staff, paid time off, and paid holidays.
There are no formal education requirements for this position. People of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply. This position reports to the National Data & Analytics Director.
- Take over projects from our existing data team and bring them to completion by adding expertise in data engineering
- Investigate and/or operationalize a system to autocut turfs from VAN in order to execute on a Distributed Organizing program
- Build integrations using the open APIs of our voter contact platforms in order to centralize all data into our single database for reporting, targeting, and analysis purposes
- Investigate and create a process to match turnout scores and partisan scores with our job candidate database
- Perform peer code review and quality assurance as part of a team
- Archive code, systems, and processes, as well as participate in a team-wide debrief at the conclusion of the election cycle
- Some duties may change as this role is supporting PTP in executing new voter turnout programs
Qualifications (You will be a good fit if):
- 2+ Years in SQL
- 2+ Years in software development languages, Python preferred
- Developing and maintaining pipelines to perform ETL
- Working with version control systems such as Git
- Experience using APIs to construct and maintain data synchronizations
- Ability to manage several tasks or projects concurrently and prioritize work effectively
- Ability to communicate effectively, especially technical ideas to non-technical people, work well under pressure, be detail oriented and meet deadlines
- You have project management experience
- Strong attention to detail, including producing technical documentation
Preferred Qualifications (Not Required):
- You have experience working in the progressive political data space
- Mapping visualization, D3, GIS applications or R Leaflet
- Experience with Civis Analytics Platform
- Ability to diagnose and improve database and query performance issues
- You understand the field-data relationship and how to clearly communicate to non-technical audiences
- You have experience using VAN or similar platforms (EveryAction, LAN, etc)
Questions about the position may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Progressive Turnout Project is dedicated to mobilizing the Democratic Party and defending democracy. Since 2015, Progressive Turnout Project has helped 137 Democrats win races and increased voter turnout in elections by up to 10.4%. Our voter turnout initiatives are solely focused on motivating Democrats to exercise their right to vote. All our work at Progressive Turnout Project is to build power for the long term. Through data-driven research, we design, test, and deploy specialized voter turnout programs. We’re here to share resources, implement strategy and offer our expertise for the advancement of Democrats (and democracy itself), cycle after cycle.
Progressive Turnout Project is committed to building a staff that reflects the diverse communities that make up our country and the progressive movement. PTP is an Equal Opportunity Employer and it is PTP’s policy to recruit, hire, train, promote, and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to age, color, creed, disability, economic status, ethnic identity, gender identity, national origin race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veterans status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
This opportunity is closed to applications.